I was thinking a little bit about the idea of Symbols. What symbols are or have been important to me.
- My Kung Fu
- Skull and CrossBones
- My Indian Chief and Indian Princess Glyphs
- The Clock
- LIttle Wing
- Little Reaper
- Indian Chief
- Death ( Reaper )
- Lone Mountain (i.e. Killimanjaro, Shasta, Fuji )
- Hula Girl
- Surfer Getting Barrelled
- Pirate Ship
- Dali and his Mustache
- Chairs and Thrones
- Classic Cars
- Rock Stars
- The Open Desert
- Tropical Islands
- Deep Forest
- Mountain Vistas
- Mountain Lakes
- Open Road
- Small Towns
- Ghost Towns
Well I am sure if I continued to think about it longer I could come up with more ideas… But that is some of them.
Its nice that I have a place to Rant and Muse.
I have meant to add a blog to my site for a while. I have been wrestling with inspiration and motivation lately. Working and commuting over 10 hours a day does not leave a lot of personal time for Art or Art Development. I do use public transportation and have some time on the train for sketching, reading, meditating and thinking. Still I am not putting enough time to my trade. I want to become a Fine Digital Artist. Currently I am a production Fx artist working mainly in houdini and doing Fx. I specialize in things not done by hand. I have become very inspired by a few artist recently. Disney, Dali, James Jean, and Andriod Jones.
Dali was always a top favorite of mine. Always amazed at his creativity and brush work. I recently saw an exhibit that put Dali and Disney together and my appreciation of Disney increased a ton. His worlds border on the sureal but as children we just get cuaght up in the entire production. Still the classic disney films like Bambi, Dumbo, Snow White are just classically beuatiful and artfully done.
So I have decided to do a little research on Themes in Art.
I found an interesting PDF DavisThemesInArt.
This PDF describes a number of interesting ideas. First there are Human Commonalities.
- Experience the Life Cycles ( Birth, Growth, Death )
- Work ( Work is universal. Everyone produces and consumes )
- Use Symbols ( All people use symbols to express feelings and ideas )
- Know Time and Space ( All people have the miraculous capacity to recall the past and anticipate the futre )
- Search for a Larger Purpose ( All people try to give spiritual meaning and connection to our lives )
- Have an Aesthetic Response ( All people respond to the aesthetic )
- Seek Social Bonding ( All people are members of groups or institutions that consequently shape their lives )
- Have a Connection to Nature ( All people are connected to the ecology of nature )
The Davis PDF goes on to suggest exploring the following:
- Rites of Passage
Another Site offers an Exhaustive List of Ideas for Themes.
What I really want to do is focus down to a really good list of 4 strong ideas.
I have not had a lot of time to myself. I spend a lot of hours at work and I am lucky that I do enjoy my work. I am trying to learn Modo at Home and do some more sketching.
I am having a hard time trying to learn or be personally productive during downtime at work. I am not using the downtime that well. Honestly I need to let my mind chill while I have downtime.
I can’t slam another side project into work. But I do know that I could do a few things.
I need to organize my photos. I need to get a scanner for my sketches.
I am at least starting to use this blog and my other wikis.
I Should start trying to work on some Themes
What 4 themes are the most important to me. How do I want to be inspired and inspire people is the big question. Big questions? Do I really think I have answers. I am mostly tired.
Ok lets do some research on themes in art and sees what hits us..